Tenant FAQs

We have prepared a list of the most frequently asked questions (FAQs) about the company, our accommodation and tenancy terms and conditions.

We suggest prospective tenants, parents and guarantors read all the FAQs to ensure they are fully informed of their obligations and responsibilities before tenancy agreements are signed.

The FAQs will also be useful for current tenants although our Tenancy Guide is more comprehensive.

What do we need to do when our group has chosen our property?

In order to reserve a property at least one member of the group must come to the agency to complete the online application and pay the reservation charge of £200. This payment will be credited as the security deposit for that tenant once the tenancy agreement has been signed at the Sign Up meeting.

What does my group have to do to complete the tenancy application process?

Your group must all apply for tenancy online as soon as the reservation charge has been paid and before your Sign Up meeting. Within 7 days of paying the reservation charge the group must attend a Sign Up meeting at our agency.

All applicants must attend the Sign Up meeting together where all remaining formalities must be completed including payment of deposits, completion of Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS) Agreements, submission of Guarantor Agreements and signing the Tenancy Agreement.

What is a Lead Tenant?

The Lead Tenant is the nominated tenant who will be our main point of contact for the group during the tenancy and they will be asked to look after the tenancy documents. They do not have any additional legal responsibilities.

What is the deposit for?

All tenants are required to pay a £200 security deposit at the point they sign the Tenancy. Your deposit covers damage, breakages, rent arrears and administration charges if there has been a breach of tenancy. The deposit is returned at the end of the tenancy.

Is my deposit protected?

Yes, accommod8 is a member of the Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS). We will register your deposit with the TDS and it will be protected and returned at the end of the tenancy in accordance with their rules. Full details of the TDS will be given to you when you sign the Tenancy Agreement.

What are my legal obligations on a Joint Tenancy Agreement?

Your group will be asked to sign a Joint Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement to commence on 1 July. The Tenancy Agreement sets out the conditions of the tenancy. Your tenancy provides that you are jointly and severally liable with your housemates to pay rent and comply with the terms and conditions.

What are my legal obligations on a Single Tenancy Agreement?

You will be asked to sign an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement to commence on or after 1 July. The Tenancy Agreement sets out the conditions of the tenancy. Your tenancy provides that you are liable to pay rent and comply with the terms and conditions.

How long is the tenancy?

The tenancy is usually for a 52 week period commencing 1 July ending 30 June the following year with 47 weeks of rent being payable during the tenancy which includes the 10 week Summer Retainer. The tenancy will be shorter and the number of weeks of rent payable will be less if signed after 1 July.

What is the Summer Retainer?

The summer retainer is the payment for the 10 week summer period from the start of the tenancy on 1 July, when our properties are being prepared for new tenants. The amount payable is usually 50% of the normal weekly rent which equates to 5 weeks rent for the period 1 July to 9 September when the rent commences.

We do not class the summer retainer as rent as we do not guarantee occuption or access to the property until it has been prepared for new tenants.

We endeavour to allow occupation as soon as possible during the summer retainer period, but we are not obliged to do so. You should arrange alternative accommodation during the summer retainer period if required.

What is a Guarantor Agreement?

Each tenant must provide a Guarantor Agreement. The Guarantor, usually a parent, agrees to guarantee rent payments and other charges due from the tenant. If an applicant is unable to provide a Guarantor the whole rent for the year will be payable before occupation of the property.

When is rent due during the Tenancy?

Rent payments are due on:

1 October

1 January

1 April

All rent should be paid through the Tenant Portal. The amount you have to pay depends on your Tenancy Agreement.

Do we have to pay Council Tax?

Full time students are exempt from paying Council Tax. To live in our accommodation you must be a full time student and may need to provide Council Tax Exemption Certificates and/or Student ID covering the period of tenancy. accommod8 will apply for a full exemption on the property. If Council Tax is chargeable on the property due to a change in student status becomes the responsibility of the tenants.

What if we need something fixed?

All repairs and maintenance must be reported through the Tenant Portal. We will give you instructions on our out of hours arrangements when you move in to the property. accommod8 is responsible for all genuine repairs. Contractors will attend to reported repairs within reasonable timescales dependent on the nature and severity of the repair.

What happens when the property is ready for us to move in?

Once your property is ready for occupation we will arrange a Check In. At the Check In we will give you a tour of the property, instruction on how things work and all the keys for the property. You will also be asked to sign an Inventory and Schedule of Condition as a record of the condition of the property on that day.

Do I need insurance?

We work in partnership with Endsleigh, the No. 1 student insurance provider, and provide every tenant with £5000 of free possessions insurance. 

Your contents. Covered.

accommod8 is working in partnership with Endsleigh, the No. 1 student insurance provider, to provide some cover for the contents inside your house. You don’t need to do anything to activate this cover, but it is important for you to check and ensure that you fully understand the protection provided and whether it is sufficient for your needs. Your policy number is HH1633.  

Visit Check your Cover to:

  • Check your level of cover
  • Review key exclusions and limitations
  • Check your policy excess
  • Learn how to make a claim
  • Extend and personalise your cover to protect laptops, phones and other valuables

Endsleigh knows that life can grind to a halt without your possessions, so it is worth spending a few minutes to establish whether the things that matter to you most are protected both inside and outside your room. They are the only insurance provider recommended by NUS and have been shaping their products and services around their customers’ needs for over 50 years.

Developing products built for students, Endsleigh understands that protecting and replacing gadgets quickly is hugely important to students; that’s why they will replace any lost, stolen or unrepairable gadgets within 24 hours of your claim being approved. Their cover can protect gadgets, watches, bikes and musical instruments under one policy—giving you the flexibility to build your cover to protect the things that matter to you most.

To find out more, visit Check your Cover.

What about utility bills, broadband and TV Licence?

Your rent is inclusive of all utilities. Water and a generous allowance of gas and electricity is included subject to defined limits outlined below. We will take opening, periodic and closing meter readings, although you are responsible for monitoring and managing your usage. Broadband is provided in all properties and is subject to terms and conditions and a fair usage policy. TV Licences are also included in your rent.

What is our energy allowance?

You are given a generous allowance for gas and electricity usage. We have presented allowances below for a broad range of type and size of property. We will use opening, periodic and end of tenancy meter readings to calculate usage during the tenancy. In financial terms the energy allowance translates to approximately 15% of the rent you pay.

Electricity meters display usage in Kilowatt/hours (KWh). Gas meters display in either cubic feet or cubic meters. Use the conversion formula below for gas usage in KWh.

Type of accommod8 PropertyAnnual Gas Allowance KWhAnnual Electricity Allowance KWh
Studio/1 bed apartment (electric only) 4,000 KWh N/A
2 bed apartment (Economy 7) N/A 7,000 KWh (low rate) 2,500 KWh (normal rate)
2 bed apartment (electric only) N/A 6,500 KWh
2 bed apartment 10,000 KWh 2,500 KWh
3 bed apartment (Economy 7) N/A 8,000 KWh (low rate) 3,500 KWh (normal rate)
3 bed apartment (electric only) N/A 10,000 KWh
3 bed traditional terrace 16,500 KWh 3,000 KWh
4 bed traditional terrace 19,000 KWh 4,000 KWh
4 bed modern semi-detached 19,000 KWh 4,000 KWh
5 bed traditional terrace 20,500 KWh 5,000 KWh
5 bed traditional semi-detached 20,500 KWh 5,000 KWh
6 bed traditional terrace 21,500 KWh 6,500 KWh
7 bed traditional terrace 22,500 KWh 6,500 KWh
7 bed modern terrace 22,500 KWh 6,500 KWh
7 bed modern terrace (electric only) N/A 20,000 KWh
8 bed modern terrace 23,000 KWh 7,000 KWh

How to convert your gas meter reading to KWh

1. Take today's reading and subtract it from the opening reading taken when you Checked In.

2. If the gas meter in your property displays in cubic metres multiply the figure by 11.5 to give the KWh. If the gas meter in your property displays in cubic feet multiply the figure by 32 to give the KWh.

3. Compare the figure with the stated allowance in the table above.

How do I complain?

accommod8 is committed to providing a quality service for its tenant and landlord customers.

One of the ways in which we can continue to improve our service is by listening and responding to the views of our customers and in particular by responding positively to complaints and putting mistakes right. We aim to ensure that:

- Making a complaint is as easy as possible;

- We treat a complaint as a clear expression of dissatisfaction with our service which calls for an immediate response

- We deal with it promptly, politely and when appropriate, confidentially

- We respond in the right way with an explanation or an apology where we have got things wrong and information on any action taken

- We learn from complaints, use them to improve our service and review annually our complaints procedure.

If you wish to make use of Our Formal Complaints Procedure please follow this advice.

Stage 1 - In the first instance, if you are unable to resolve the issue informally, you should email the member of staff who dealt with you, so that he or she has a chance to put things right. You should set out the details of your complaint, the consequences for you as a result, and the remedy you are seeking.

You can expect your complaint to be acknowledged within 3 working days of receipt and you should get a response and an explanation within 10 working days. If you are unsure which member of accommod8 staff to email your complaint send it to enquiries@accommod8.biz and it will be forwarded to the member of staff.

Stage 2 - If you are not satisfied with the initial response to the complaint then you should address an email to the Manager and ask for your complaint and the response to be reviewed. You can expect an acknowledgement of your request within 3 working days of receipt and a response within 10 workings days. Emails should be sent to enquiries@accommod8.biz

accommod8 aims to resolve all matters as quickly as possible. Inevitably some issues will be more complex and therefore may require longer to be fully investigated. If a matter requires more detailed investigation, you will receive an interim response describing what is being done to deal with the matter, and when a full reply can be expected and from whom.

Stage 3 - If you are still not satisfied with the further response from the Manager we would advise you to refer the matter to one of following regulatory bodies depending on the nature of the complaint.

Tenants with property or tenancy issues in Liverpool should contact:

Liverpool Student Homes


Tenants with deposit issues should contact:

The Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS)

PO Box 1255

Hemel Hempstead




Landlords and Tenants with other property issues should contact:

The Property Ombudsman

Milford House

43-55 Milford Street